Monday, April 13, 2009

What Boys Do during Spring Break


Every year the children get 4 days off for "Spring Break". It usually precedes Easter. The weather almost NEVER cooperates, I think the break should be in May. Friday was somewhat okay weather wise so the kids played outside. It had been a crazy day. I had taken the kids and some friends to a movie. Ellie was at a birthday party and needed to be picked up about the time the movie let out. I felt like I was a running around fool on a time schedule!
After getting everyone safely home and securing a house full of kids, I decided to sit and watch a little OPRAH. I quickly got a phone call from Gabe: "Mom, I'm over at Nickolaus' house". I asked him the usual, what are you doing, what time are you coming home, be careful, etc. etc. Not 15 minutes later I get a phone call from Nickolaus's sister telling me that Gabe has been hurt and has a bloody nose. Truthfully, I did not panic like I usually would. I got in my car and drove to the scene where I came upon Nickolaus' mom holding Gabe's nose with a rag. THERE WAS BLOOD ALL OVER THE PAVEMENT! Now I was panicking! Gabe was also labouring to BREATHE. Apparently the boys were trying to CATCH AIR on their bikes by going quickly downhill and over a skateboard ramp. Why...WHY...WHY do they inherently have the DAREDEVIL gene???? Needless to say, Gabe flew over his bike, doing a flip, landing into his handle bars and on to his HEAD. This was not a pretty scene. I assessed his ability to stand, walked him to the car, and took him home. He was not breathing normal in the car. I asked him 100 questions about how he crashed, much of which he could not answer because he could not BREATHE and could not remember....he just knew he got about "6 feet of air". (Later the numbers changed to 10 feet) I called Mike because his BREATHING was not normal, he told me to wait for him to get home. I called him again, Gabe was really labouring to BREATHE. He was scarring me to death. I could not wait for the "Dad assessment", so I took him to the ER. This is where we spent the rest of the night! They did a CAT scan to see if there was any INTERNAL damage. They gave him and IV and did blood work. He had a regular X-ray. We waited and waited. Gabe was still in pain and labouring to BREATHE.
I really hate things like this that test my faith and how strong I am as a person. I decided I am a -10...a WIMP...a CONTROL FREAK...a MOTHER. Thankfully, I have a son that requested that we have a prayer. This truly helped the pain (along with some morphine). The ER doctor decided that the CAT showed some bruising on his lung. They would have to send us up to Primary's overnight for some observations. I guess things can progress with time. So, we took a ride in the AMBULANCE up to Primary Children's hospital. Once there, they handled him like he was a trauma patient (way over done). We had to wait out in the hall behind this sliding glass door while they worked on him AGAIN...more x-rays, blood work, etc. etc. It was finally decided that he was going to be OKAY, but very sore for the next few days. We could go home. I can't wait for the bill.
We arrived home that night around 12:30 p.m. It was a very stressful night, I think I am still recovery emotionally. Mike was a trooper with great faith that everything was fine, and it is. Gabe will need a new helmet and I am so grateful that he had it on!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Holy @#$%&! Nice Spring break! I'm glad Gabe is alright...they just have to keep us hoppin' at all times don't they?

Hang in there girl!

-Kim

coccifamily said...

Sounds like a great time at the Maires! I am glad that all is well. My boys prefer explosives to stunts! Hope we survive the next ten years.